0 PLAYERS ONLINE

PLAY.TXNRP.COM

Tutorial How to Setup Controller Keybinds

Daniel Mack

How to Setup Controller Keybinds with Steam Big Picture Mode [Last Update: 09/01/2020]

Since the recent update, and people not being able to set keybinds directly through FiveM, here is a method on how to set keybinds with your controller. If you have any updates or changes that should be made with this thread, please contact me on Discord, Bean#1732.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1: Enter Big Picture Mode on Steam
To enter Big Picture Mode, open Steam & navigate yourself to the top right of the tab. Just to the left of the "_" you should see a rectangle with two arrows pointing outwards. Click on that and it will start Steam's Big Picture Mode. Just a warning, it will play a very loud sound when starting it so I would recommend turning your sound down for a few seconds so your eardrums don't explode.

2: Select your Controller
Once you are in Big Picture Mode, you have to select your controller. To do this, click the settings cog near the top right of your screen. This will bring you to the settings page. Then, from there you select "Controller Settings", under the Controller section. In this page, you need to select the correct controller - for example, if you are using an Xbox Controller you'd select "Xbox Configuration Support". Also, make sure "Guide Button Focuses Steam" is selected. Now, go back to the Main Settings Page, ready for the next step.

3: Setting your Configuration
Select "Base Configurations", which is again underneath the "Controller" section in the settings page. Next, select "Desktop configuration". This will bring you to a new page, where it has different keybinds for your controller. At the bottom, you'll see "Browse Configs" - click on that. Then, go to "Templates" which is on the side list. On here, it'll list different base configurations for your controller - you need to select the config that only says "Gamepad". Then, it'll bring you to a preview with a diagram of your controller. At the bottom of your screen, click "Apply Configuration".

4: Setting your Controller Keybinds
Go to the page where it displays a diagram of your controller and several boxes with keybinds listed inside. If you forgot, this should be located at: Settings Page > Base Configurations > Desktop configuration. Since you've selected the "base configuration" for your controller from the last step, you can set your keybinds as you wish now. Since I know many people just want to switch the "A" button to their radio keybind, that is what I'm going to briefly go over. Click on the box which has "Y Button", "X Button", "B Button", and "A Button", listed inside. Then click on the A in the button pad. This will bring up a keyboard with several buttons; if you click on "caps" (or whatever your radio keybind is), it will select it and send you back to the binding page. If you click back once more (located at the bottom of the page) and then done, this will save your keybinds. Press Escape until you are at the startup page which you first visited upon entering Big Picture Mode - then click on the power icon, and select "Minimize Big Picture". You can use Exit, but it works best if you just minimize it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wish to have other buttons for keybinds, and you are struggling with it, feel free to message me on the forums or message me on Discord (Bean#1732).
If you have any suggestions or changes for this guide/thread, feel free to contact me either via the forums or Discord (Bean#1732).

- Daniel M.

B1GMACx

Hi Daniel. I’m wondering if you could show your controller key binds. It would really help me out. I am struggling and can’t find an answer anywhere. Thanks

Daniel Mack

Hi Daniel. I’m wondering if you could show your controller key binds. It would really help me out. I am struggling and can’t find an answer anywhere. Thanks
I believe it was you who messaged me on Discord about this. But, if it wasn’t, contact me there instead: Bean#1732.

Daniel,

I only want to bind the A button on my Xbox controller, as I like the way the rest of my controller is set up already. When I follow your instructions and bind the A key to Caps Lock it completely stops my controller from working in FiveM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brandon

Daniel Mack

Daniel,

I only want to bind the A button on my Xbox controller, as I like the way the rest of my controller is set up already. When I follow your instructions and bind the A key to Caps Lock it completely stops my controller from working in FiveM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brandon
Hi, if you haven’t already tried, close FiveM and setup the controller configuration whilst FiveM is not open. This is what fixed it to me when I used a controller with this method. If this still doesn’t work I’m afraid I have no idea with what’s wrong so browsing the internet might be a good idea to find a solution.